About Me

My photo
Sewing 101 is a class where we are learning and picking up a lost tradition. I have had a passion for sewing for 18 years now. And now I get to share it with others who are interested. We start at a beginners level and continue into a group very confident sewers. Come and read along with us and see where creativity can go.
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Side by Side

This summer I purchased my 8 soon to be 9 year old daughter Carissa her first sewing machine. I found it at a yard sale and she could care less that is was used. I bought it for $15.00 and spent $60.00 in repairs. Not bad.  Well I got her started out with sewing on paper first. I had her practice sewing straight lines, then squares then last circles. She did well and got used to using the pedal, which can be hard for many at first.

She has a list of all of her projects she wants to do. I love it, already her wheels are turning. So her biggest question has been, "Can I join sewing class?" And my answer has been like most of the time, "I will think about it."  I decided for us to spend some one on one time together we can do the same projects that we will do in sewing class together. She was so happy. So tonight we sat side by side and started with one of them. It is very basic and she did well. She did everything on her own. She cut out all her fabric and ironed it all. I am a very proud Mama. I look forward to all the projects that are to come.

Us sewing side by side.



Carissa being very careful to keep her seams straight.

Happy sewing to you all! 
Rachel


1 comment:

  1. That is AWESOME! Will you be sharing her finished project pictures? :)

    ReplyDelete